Everything you need to care for your lawn
Lawn care in the spring is crucial for maintaining a healthy and beautiful lawn. As the weather warms up, grass starts to grow more rapidly and requires attention to ensure that it is not damaged by pests, diseases, or drought.
Regular mowing, watering, and fertilizing are essential for promoting growth and preventing weeds from taking over.
Spring is also a great time to aerate the lawn, which allows air, water, and nutrients to penetrate the soil more easily.
Additionally, it’s important to keep an eye out for signs of damage or disease, and take swift action to address any issues before they worsen.
By following a few simple steps, homeowners can ensure that their lawns thrive throughout the spring and beyond.
Here are the top 10 steps for good lawn care in spring:
- Rake and remove debris: Remove leaves, twigs, and other debris from the lawn to promote healthy growth and prevent disease.
- Aerate the soil: Use an aerator to loosen compacted soil, allowing water, air, and nutrients to penetrate more easily.
- Apply fertilizer: Apply a slow-release fertilizer to promote healthy growth and a vibrant green colour.
- Reseed bare patches: Use grass seed to fill in bare patches and promote uniform growth.
- Water the lawn deeply and infrequently to encourage deep root growth and avoid shallow roots that are susceptible to drought.
- Mow the lawn regularly, keeping the blades sharp and adjusting the height as needed to avoid cutting too much at once.
- Control weeds: Use a weed killer or hand-pull weeds to prevent them from overtaking the lawn.
- Edge the lawn: Use a trimmer to edge along sidewalks, driveways, and other borders for a neat appearance.
- Check for pests: Look for signs of pests and take action if necessary to prevent damage.
- Keep off the lawn: Avoid walking or playing on the lawn when it is wet, as this can damage the grass and soil.
There are many types of very clever grass seeds which enable you to get a higher rate of success when seeding your lawn.
LOOK OUT FOR:
“Fast Acting” It really does germinate quickly and you will see grass growing soon thereafter.
“Low temperature germination” Critically important especially for early sowing.
“Smart lawn seed” great for cold weather germination and each seed is coated with a gel to speed up germination which saves water and helps keep the seed moist. The gel also increases your germination rate so a thicker coat of grass on the first attempt.
GRASS SEED NEEDS LIGHT TO GERMINATE!!! – So cast the seed thinly over an area, don’t pour it on.
What lawn do you need
Hardwearing – great for kids and dog owners.
Shady – Designed specifically to thrive under trees or bushes in the shade
Luxury fine – For those perfect lined lawns
It is very important to follow the guidance on each product to achieve best results.
A traditionally styled, high quality Kent & Stowe Edging Iron made from serrated and curved stainless steel and T grip handle of beautiful ash wood. This tool is ideal for use between lawns and borders and the perfect height for easy working, as well as eliminating the need for bending and reducing back strain. It has quality guaranteed with its 15 year guarantee.
Larger area of lawn to replace?
The first delivery of the season of our award winning TURF is in stock now.
We can give you a hand to load your vehicle, or we can deliver to your garden.
Buy 4 turfs get 5th FREE
(equivalent to £6.40 per turf)